June 15, 2004

Off-Limit Careers for Mormons

Julie M. Smith posted a question over at T&S asking if there are any profession members of the Church just can’t do. It has garnered a number of responses thus far, most of which I disagree with. For example, the ones I disagree with include:

  • Brewer
  • Tobacconist
  • Evolutionary scientist
  • Gay-wedding planner

I'm not so sure that members of the Church can't work in industries that promote breaking of the Word of Wisdom. So long as the individual is not drinking beer, why can s/he not work in a brewery? So long as the individual does not smoke the tobacco, why couldn't s/he harvest it for the tobacco company. For that matter, what of the trucker who ships the products, the grocer who sells them or the manufacturer who creates their packaging?

So long as the person does not violate the Word of Wisdom, I see no reason for them not being able to hold jobs with such companies.

I, too, see no reason for a member of the Church not to be an evolutionary scientist since evolution is not against church teachings.

Nor do I see why a member of the Church cannot plan gay weddings.

No comments: