March 08, 2005

Brandon Flowers is Mormon

Turns out Brandon Flowers, lead singer for The Killers, is a Mormon. (Hat tip to the Times)

Spin once described you as an ex-Mormon. Is religion important in your life?

It’s very important. I mean, it’s important in everyone’s life. Basic religion is the reason we have morals. I am actually a Mormon, not an ex-Mormon. I occasionally drink and smoke, but I’m trying—I’m human.

Some people might say he would be a bad example for the youth or that he reflects badly on the Church. Personally, I say kudos to him for identifying with the Church. Not every popular entertainer does that. I wonder if KZION will pick this up.

Mr. Brightside on KZION? That'd be cool.

38 comments:

Geoff J said...

Nice pull Kim. I spent years of my life trying to be a real live rock star so this sort of info always interests me. I don't know of any real live Mormon rock stars that are doing better in the gospel than "trying" like Brandon. I commend him for his efforts though.

William said...

Kim:

I agree and admire how candid Flowers is about his status vis a vis the Church.

Yes, the fact that he's not living the Gospel might not make him the best role model (of course, very few entertainers are good role models), but the fact that he acknowledges the importance of his faith while still admitting that he struggles to live the gospel could be an important thing for some Mormon youth.

Anonymous said...

That we all could be so candid in our sturggles and sin.

Anonymous said...

Quote: Oh my gosh! the fact that Brandon is mormon, makes him even hotter than he was before!!!!!!

Hello people... REALITY CHECK!
Great for him for following a religion, and he's trying. What more can we ask for?
"He's not the greatest role model?"
Let us take a look at how many celebrites are these days..
Brandon isn't that bad is he?
He's a talented singer, and he's on the road to success.
And congratulations to his engagement!
Let us all give him a round of applause!

Anonymous said...

(And the quote was there for I am showing another one of the cases where people sit here raving about his looks, not his talent!)

Anonymous said...

I think that he is doing a good job keeping his religion and I know that it is hard doing that when you are a rock star. I just think that it is cool that he is LDS because I am LDS too. I also think that he is really hot and The Killers is my favorite band.

Anonymous said...

Brandon is a role model to me because he is showing us that any LDS person can suceed in being famous and still at least still be keeping his religion. Okay maybe he smokes and drinks sometimes but at least he tries to do better. Him being LDS makes him appeal to me even more than before. And I am from Utah and he grew up in a little LDS town called Nephi! GO BRANDON! GOOD LUCK ON YOUR MARRIAGE!

Anonymous said...

I really admire brandon flowers!im mormon also and i think it would be do hard to be famous and stick with the gospal...i personaly think i wouldn't be able to do it!and also it think its amazing how he came out and said he was mormon, because some LDS people let their pride take over them and they get embaressed if they ever came out and said they where LDS!i cant wait to see them preform monday!

Anonymous said...

I think it's admirable that he's attempting to do his best and follow his religious path as well as a risky career in the entertainment industry. He's a talented songwriter, singer, and being very good-looking is just a delicious bonus for those of us who love The Killer's music.

Anonymous said...

So Brandon Flowers is a mormon. The rest of The Killers aren't mormon I don't think. This site talks about what being a mormon is about for those that don't know... www.stay-lds.com

Anonymous said...

you all are idiots.. "i love him because he is a mormon" you need to grow up. do you think god really cares if he is a rockstar? god cares about how he is living his life, not what kind of person he is in the public eye instead of in private where it counts.. one of my biggest pet-peeves is that mormons say "ohh, this celeb is a mormon, wow, lets worship him now" who cares...... ohh yeah, by the way, i am also a memeber of the church... again, grow up

Anonymous said...

at least he is actually open about his faith!
You don't exactly hear paris Hilton or Brad Pitt talking about being a christian... Good for him is what i say.

Anonymous said...

I am totally cool

Kim Siever said...

"I am totally cool"

Wow. I have a twin.

Anonymous said...

I knew it! As soon as he said on Live8 'These people are our brothers and sisters..' I knew it! That and he's marrying reeeeaaalll young..

He is a truly wonderful rolemodel, as a young gal in the LDS youth, I think it's great to know that no matter what your faith or morals, you can be a rock star...I mean, dude...THAT'S MY DREAM!

But a clean rockstar XD

I think that everyone stumbles sometimes in the Church, but the fact he is still trying kinda makes up for that. It's certainly told me I don't have to give up.

So rock on Mr Flowers! WOOOT! You have my upmost respect XD

Pheonix1991rox@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Brandon is my role model, i dont understand how anybody could say he is a bad one! I am LDS also, and I look up to him because, although i am not perfect, I try, and so does he. not EVERY mormon is perfect. o ya, and it doesnt hurt that he is hot! MARY ME, BRANDON FLOWERS?

Anonymous said...

wow!!!! i think its so cool that someone famous is a mormon. i mean since its public people will stop and think .....Brandon Flowers is a mormon? way cool. hope he gets up on the smoking/drinking thing though. oh and congrads on your marriage!!!!

Anonymous said...

DAM! Brandon Flowers is a Mormon! I'm sorry is this is insulting but The Mormons are a cult. The Bible said there will be no more books and they try to claim that the Book of Mormon is a valid text - bleh! get over your self righteous selves and study not follow, think before you fall into their traps.

Kim Siever said...

Oh, good. A troll. I was getting tired of all the intelligent comments on this post.

Anonymous said...

don't try to deny the FACTS by calling me names.

Kim Siever said...

Don't try to deny the facts by spewing regurgitated, inaccurate anti-Mormon rhetoric. It's tiring, boring and shows your ignorance.

Anonymous said...

don't accuse me – just google "mormon cult" I don't claim to be an expert but I am a free thinker and some "religions" are more suspect than older ones. what's wrong with regular catholicism? too old for you? or do you have to look to more modern saints. I mean you might as well worship L Ron Hubburd. btw I'm not cathloic.

Anonymous said...

"not EVERY mormon is perfect." its comments like these that make me think this is a cult. OF course not EVERY mormon is perfect! nobody is perfect. if a 'religion' makes you need to give up beer or anything else to be perfect then you need you head checked. QUESTION your leaders DO NOT FOLLOW! bah! what am I thinking I'm not going to convince anyone reading this. follow you leaders don't question anything live a blind life thats not worth living. good luck getting in getting to a heven which might not exist.

Anonymous said...

brandon is the hottest thing evahhhh and i dont care if hes a mormon or wateva im still gonna marry him one day :D

Anonymous said...

do mormons still beleive that it is ok to have 6 wives, and one thing that always interested me about mormons' was there were never any black people in the religion, mormons now that I think about it are all predominantly white. I

Kim Siever said...

The Mormon Church has abandoned the practice of plural marriage since the 19th century.

There have been blacks in the Mormon Church since the 1830s.

Less than half of Mormons speak English as their first language and less than half live in the United States.

Anonymous said...

the killers are my favourite band and i think there truly amazing!! i think every one who thinks being a morman is a proplem or funny is just ignorant. Just because you'r religous doesnt mean you can't be yourself or that by having a faith you should do things differently 2how u want to!!

if he wants 2 b a rock star he shud do that because he's the perfect example that dreams can come true if you've got the talent and believe that you can do it now matter who you are!!!

have you ever heard brandon talk in an interview..he really is truely a generly lovely preson!! i think he's amazing!! he really is..funny, intelligent, good looking, burtsing wiv talent and ideas...also alot of something that alot of rock stars havnt got the ball's to have..respect!! to me he's the perfect man!

you can't deny that he is unbeleieveably gorgous but that has nothing to do with being morman...an his looks are only half light compered2his talent an i wish people realised that more then being so ignorant and judgementle like the world is 2day!!

good luck in your marriage brandon!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my. =~O

If he's mormon,doesnt that mean hes guna like..{Do his kids?!}like if he has any later on in life thats what my sister just told me.. hahaha =) oh well. i guess its kinda..scary..in a way but um..hes never guna lose his hott~ness =)


=( im scared to go to a killers concert..hes guna like pull me outa the croud and RAPE ME! =~O hahaha JUST KiDDiNG...hes not that type of dude..


i hope.. =~/ Um.

Ah hopefully the thing my sister said wasnt true..cuz now i have to take my posters off my wall...delete all the pictures i have of him
=( even in da mr.brightside video.. aw hes hott in that.. hehe =)
And im really scared now...would if he finds out i wrote dis!? Ah im going now! bye!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah!

Good luck with your marriage! =)
Tana's one lucky girl dats all i have to say ;)

Kim Siever said...

"If he's mormon,doesnt that mean hes guna like..{Do his kids?"

Not by a long shot. If he's going to "do his kids" being Mormon will have nothing to do with it.

You might want to ask your sister what she's smoking.

Anonymous said...

here she is

[img]http://tinypic.com/bhd3pl.jpg[/img]

Anonymous said...

The fact that he's not "living" the gospel? Gimme a break. Like you're perfect? You know it also says to eat meat only in times of winter or famine but I'm sure you eat meat right? So basically you're not living the gospel either. Stop spending your time acting morally superior to the rest of us, and don't call someone a bad role model just because they drink or smoke. It's not like he has six wives.

Anonymous said...

im morman and its not a cult we dont have more than one husband or wife its a religion that we choose to follow. there are people that have grown up in the church and haved strayed like my brother he trys but sometimes its hard i respect Branden that he still trying. no one makes do the things they say we should we choose to.

Anonymous said...

Half of you have no idea what you are talking about when you post these comments. If you guys dont know anything about the religion and you dont even ask the people in the religion, then your definately not going to get the straight and right answers. So please...ask people that truly know what they're talking about! Don't get your information from an uncreditable source. I have faith that Brandon will do well and I cant wait to see you all in the Celestial Kingdom! Rock on and I hope you girls find your stripling warriors!~Michelle

Anonymous said...

And?

Anonymous said...

okay all of ya'll who are against mormons need to just shut up! I don't think Brandon Flowers is a bad person but he really needs to repent and get over this smoking and drinking deal!! GOOD LUCK BRANDON!! May god be with you! And mormons rock on!!

Anonymous said...

this goes to sin city slicker and (to all those who are reading these messages not of the LDS faith): you are correct in saying that there are mormons who do not know all of the history of the church. Many of them will never bother to "educate" themselves as you say. However, the internet contains mostly false or misrepresented information about the church, its called "Anti-Mormon Literature" its been around for ages.

People think that we are a cult or that we're not Christian, meanwhile a lot of the people who say that are just as uneducated as the next person about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. If i wanted to learn about Judaism I would go talk to a Rabbi not consult the internet. If i did consult the internet I would make sure that the sites i read from where actually made and supported by Jewish people who are PRACTICING their faith.

Its a well known fact that anyone who leaves the LDS church never does so quietly. People who leave the church always bad mouth it afterward in some manner. After all they have to make excuses and justification for their leaving.

The BIBLE says that "By their fruits ye shall know them" Matthew 7:20. What does this mean? it means that by our actions and by our behavior and how we live our lives you will know whether or not what we do is good or bad.

People, take a real good look at the kind of people/behavior produced by practicing Mormons who are doing their best to change their lives for the better and serve their fellow man. Their fruits are good fruits. Therefore, judge righteously lest ye come under condemnation yourselves.

After all is said and done, when I die I will have no regrets for living my life as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It teaches me to better myself and serve others, to be kind and forgiving, to have charity for all mankind, are these the teachings of a cult? are these not the teachings of the Master himself, even Jesus Christ? He who taught that the first great commandment was to Love God with all your heart, might, mind and strength and the second to love your neighbor.

I feel sorrow for all LDS members who are led astray by false information. My sorrow is even greater for those who will not come to know the joy of knowing the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ because of contempt prior to investigation and investigation among false sources.

May the Lord be with all of you as you seek out the path of the righteousness.

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is not nice, The LDS church is a good church, and for those that dont know, if u r watchin, 'Im a Celeb, get me out of here' jimmy Osmond is a mormon, that is a good example!! Alice Cooper was also a mormon that left the church and has now gone down a terrible path, Bad example!! The actor John Goodman, he is a Less Active!! There are many around us everywhere, some are less active, that could be the reason for there faults but if you try, you will make it back stonger, i had my faults but, now im back, stonger in the church than ever!!

Brandon, has chosen some wrong choices but, dont we all?