I came across some statistics today on the United Nations website that I found interesting. According to the Statistics Division, Sierra Leone has the highest infant mortality rate in the world at 166 per 1000 births. In addition, 50% of citizens of Sierra Leone are udnernourished, the highest percentage of any country in the world.
I didn't compare country for country to get a better sample, but I wonder how much of a correlation there is between the two.
Often, it is stated by some that developed countries have low infant mortality rates because of advancements in medical technologies. I don't know how accurate that is. The United States undoubtedly has access to the research and technology for it to have the lowest infant mortality rate, yet it ranks (at 7 deaths per 1000 births) behind Canada (5), Japan, Norway, Denmark, Sweden (all 3), and several other countries.
June 17, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment