June 26, 2005

Satan in the Temple

Can a person be tempted in the temple? Can a person have unclean thoughts in the temple? Can someone act inappropriately in the temple?

Do all evil influences, or tendency to unwholesome behaviour, stop at the front door of the temple?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting question. I have thought about this, because I was taught somewhere that Satan couldn't tempt someone in the temple. Funny thing is, I was thinking about this in the temple one time, and then had an unclean thought. Nothing major, but I guess the temple is only as holy as the people who enter it, to some degree. Jesus chased the moneychangers out of the temple, so I would think that the temple is a vunerable ediface. I believe Brigham Young once said, in reference to the destruction of the Nauvoo temple, "It's only a building"

Anonymous said...

I tend to think that the vast bulk of our temptation is result of "the flesh". And as we bring that into the temple with us, we can be tempted.

Anonymous said...

Having worked inside the temple as both a temple worker and a security guard, I can say with certainty that temptation occurs inside the Temple. Does that mean it is Satan inside? Not sure. I tend to agree with what J wrote.

Anonymous said...

I concur with Bro. Stapley, although there are certainly evil forces tempting us, we are also subject to the promptings of the natural man (or woman). I’m also afraid that we let our temptations form groves in our mind that it may then travel down at the most inappropriate times. I found the peace that I felt in the temple to be important in the healing process after my son’s death. The noise would stop as I entered the temple and I could feel the spirit again.

Mike said...

All kinds of normal worldly thoughts and deeds can occur in the temple. It is just that the surroundings, to a certain extent, and the people entering therein, to a greater extent, determine the atmosphere. Just like a sacrament meeting talk can be deadly boring to one person and highly inspirational to another.

We may not be directly temptable in the temple, but we bring the world with us when we enter, to a certain extent.

Anonymous said...

I saw the devil in the temple, ot just once, but over and over and over again.